Lamb with Honey and Pistachios
- 2-3 kilo lamb shoulder or leg (bone in)
- Five cloves of garlic, diced
- Half a cup of firmly packed brown sugar
- Half a cup of red wine vinegar
- Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Rind of an orange (or the like)
- Salt and pepper
- Drizzle of olive oil
- For the dressing
- Half a cup of honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Half a cup of pistachios (toasted and halved)
- 2 cups of chopped, fresh parsley (or a mix of parsley and flat-leaf parsley)
The best of field & farm
Spring has lamb written all over it. And, when paired with honey, it’s a sure-fire flavoursome combo to satisfy a crowd and kickstart warmer, lighter evenings to come.
First up, turn your oven to 180°C – or 160°C fan-forced. Mix together the garlic, sugar, vinegar, rind and cinnamon in a bowl. Place the lamb in a baking tray and rub the mix all over – pressing it into every nook and cranny – season with salt and pepper and drizzle with oil. Cover the tray with foil – tightly – and roast for two-and-half hours. Then, remove the foil and roast for an additional 30 minutes – it should golden up!
Whilst you are waiting for the lamb to cook, make the dressing. Simply place the honey, vinegar, pistachios and parsley and stir to combine. Season with a little salt and pepper as required and drizzle over your cooked lamb! To complete the meal, serve your honeyed lamb with a herby orzo salad!