DIY Lava Lamp | Kids Fun
Lava lamps are so simple to make and perfect for kids who love experimenting!
Here’s an easy one to build with a few simple pantry ingredients and a recycled jar.
What you’ll need . . .
- A tall, clear glass or jar (mason jars are perfect)
- Vegetable oil
- Food colouring
- Baking soda
- Light source for extra effect
How to . . .
- Spoon two tablespoons of baking soda into the empty jar.
- Fill the rest of the glass with vegetable oil (but leave a gap at the top). You don’t need to mix in the baking soda.
- In a separate container, mix approximately four tablespoons of vinegar with a couple of drops of food colouring (keep it light to see the bubble effect better).
- Pour the vinegar mix into the vegetable oil and watch it bubble up!
- For extra effect, pop the jar on top of – or in front of – a light.
Variation: If you don’t have baking soda or vinegar, you can use salt instead. Add two-thirds water and one third vegetable oil to your glass, pour or spoon in the salt. The result is less impressive than with baking soda but still cool to watch!