Lemon & Oat Crusted Strawberry Pie
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 50g honey or syrup of choice
- 25g cornflour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 lemons (about 215g), washed, quartered and seeds removed
- 50g dried apricots, soaked in hot water for a few hours and drained
- 40g cornflour
- 125g honey or syrup of choice
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 125g strawberries, tops removed, quartered
Serves: 8-10 Cooking time: 35 minutes
Who says you can’t have your cake and eat it too? When it’s a slice of this heavenly yet healthy lemon and strawberry pie, we say, have as many slices as you like!
Step 1: Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 20cm pie dish.
Step 2: Place oats and chopped almonds on a baking tray and roast for 10 minutes or until nicely browned.
Step 3: Transfer to a food processor along with remaining crust ingredients and 2 tbsp water. Pulse until the mixture forms a chunky paste.
Step 4: Evenly press into the base and 4cm up the side of your prepared dish. Bake for 5 minutes, then set aside while you make the filling.
Step 5: To make the filling, blend all ingredients except for the strawberries until smooth. Pour over the base and smooth the top. Arrange strawberry quarters evenly over the filling.
Step 6: Sprinkle with sugar if desired and bake for 35 minutes or until the custard begins to brown on top. Allow to cool slightly before cutting and serving warm, or place in the fridge to serve chilled.
• Alternative: replace oats with quinoa flakes
• If the filling looks curdled after blending, heat in a saucepan and whisk to bring the mixture together