Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into small bite-sized chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced, 1 cup
- 3 carrots finely diced, 1 cup
- 3 stalks celery sliced, 1 cup
- 5 – 6 cloves garlic minced
- 500gm agria potatoes finely diced
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut cream or milk
- 1 cup cashews*
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp dried sage
- freshly cracked black pepper
- fresh parsley leaves chopped to garnish
- *Nut Allergies? You can substitute cashews for 1 cup of steamed cauliflower, blended together with the coconut cream/milk. Although it may be tempting to leave the cashews – or their substitute – out completely, don’t do it! They’re important to the recipe.
This super rich and creamy chicken pot pie soup is comforting and satisfying. Perfect winter fare and the perfect meal for busy lives because it’s made in a slow cooker. It’s also dairy-free, grain-free, gluten-free, and paleo-friendly. Everyone’s a winner!
How to . . .
If you don’t have a sauté function on your slow cooker, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion, carrots, and celery until the onions are soft, then sauté the garlic for approximately one minute or until fragrant.
Next, transfer the sautéed mixture to the slow cooker. Add the potatoes, chicken broth, chicken, sage and thyme. Cover and cook on high for four hours or on low for six hours.
In the meantime, make the cashew-coconut cream. Add cashews to a high-speed blender and blend until fine. Add coconut cream/milk and blend until very, very smooth. Whenthe slow cooker time is up, and the potatoes are tender, stir in cashew-coconut cream and season with plenty of salt and pepper.
This next step is the fork in the road. If you prefer chunky soups – this hearty dish is good to go!
If you sway on the creamy side, blend until smooth and transfer to a pot. Now everything should have really thickened up. So, on a low heat, warm through and add additional water/stock/coconut cream to reach desired thickness – with additional salt (garlic and herb salt is another great addition) and pepper to hit perfectly seasoned notes. This smooth style soup is destined to serve a larger crowd.
To top it all off – for added comfort – pair your tasty soup with garlic bread or garlic pitas.