Story writing competition | Kids fun
- Written by
- Harri Sharman
Donovan Bixley is best known for his pre -school books, such as The Wheels on the Bus and the Great Kiwi ABC Book. He shares all his tips and tricks for drawing, from simple drawings to character design and more, in his new book Draw Some Awesome.
Donovan’s top 5 artistic tips for budding artists:
- Keep a sketch book
- Draw every day. Practice makes perfect
- Look at artists you like and try to copy what they do
- Observe the world around you
- Just do it – don’t wait for permission to be artistic
Tell your very own story and be in to win an awesome prize! We’ve started it for you, but we need your help to finish the story. The best tale will receive a signed copy of Donovan Bixley’s book – Draw Some Awesome – so you can learn to draw some cool pictures to go along with your story.
The Tale of Tama the Travelling Takahē
When Tama the Travelling Takahē woke up in the morning, it was a bright, sunny, summer’s day.
The air was already warm, the other birds were singing in the forest, and Tama knew it was going to be a GREAT day for a new adventure.
The other takahē in his village didn’t like to go too far from their nests, but Tama was a traveller. He loved going to all sorts of new places.
But where did he go today?
Your story should:
- Have a main character – Tama
- Start with the paragraph above, and carry on the story with a middle and an ending
- Be unique! Be as creative as possible
Send your story to us on our website: www.henrymagazine.nz/competitions before the 5th of May to be in to win.